Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Sushi Burrito Experience

When I first heard about Sushirrito, a sushi burrito shop in Soma, I fantasized about huge Chipotle-sized flour tortillas stuffed with tangy guacamole, spicy salsas, melted cheese, and.......sashimi?  I wasn't sure what to expect, but the combo of Mexican and Japanese sounded acutely amazing. 


So, this past Monday, I ventured down to this hole in the wall off New Montgomery Street, and discovered that a sushi burrito is really a giant sushi roll, stuffed with baby arugula to balloon it to the size of a burrito. 





















I ordered the "Casanova" which came with salmon sashimi, arugula, daikon radish, tomatillo salsa, avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds, green onions and a "White Soy Ponzu" sauce.  Look at all that arugula!:

















It turned out much better than I expected - all of the fresh veggies went well in the burrito, the pumpkin seeds provided a nice crunch and the sauce gave it a little kick. It was sweet and tangy and complemented the fresh sashimi well. Also, the burrito had a good balance of rice, which didn't override the other ingredients. The shop had a pretty efficient assembly line going, so although the line was long, it moved quickly.


I will probably come back, but only when I'm in the mood to spend some money ($9.50 for a burrito! - to be fair though, a roll at any Japanese restaurant would be priced similarly).  Now we just need a brown rice sushi burrito spot....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment